Sunday, September 21, 2008

DIPLADENIA
10 3/4" x 7 1/2"
watercolor 

First in a series of watercolors I did this summer.  Again, mostly one a day although I tweaked them for days afterwards.  Painted on Arches 140 lb cold pressed paper (my favorite).  Winsor & Newton watercolors, and Winsor & Newton Series 7 Finest Sable brushes.  (Worth the price, last for years.) 
Spent days hanging around nurseries in Aiken, SC with my camera.  When the sun hit something just right I snapped away.  These paintings are made up from several reference photos and imagination.  Changed values and background colors to make them work.  I'm really pleased with the shadows on white in this one.  Mixed alizarin, ultramarine blue, and a touch of raw sienna.  Worked in many (many) transparent layers. 

No comments: