Thursday, October 7, 2010

Serendipity

Church Yard Morning
6" x 9"
pastel
Second sketch from a sunny and fruitful morning.  I feel blessed!  Happy with the way I caught the light as it moved over the traveler's palm base.  Left it without tinkering back in the studio.  Right before posting this, I came across a quote by Charles Hawthorne (credit to the artist who mentioned it later).
A sketch has charm because of its truth - not because it is unfinished.  
A serendipitous piece of information!  I always feel compelled to finish and polish my work.  Serendipity that I came across this quote minutes before writing about the same subject.  A sketch can be a study for future work, it can be practice, a visual journal, a snapshot of a moment in time.  And a sketch can exist as a piece of art in its own right.  Thinking that you're "only" sketching... takes the pressure off.  No need to create that masterpiece.  If it happens, fine.  If not, no big deal.  Sketches can be crumpled and tossed, stacked in a drawer, or maybe even make it into a frame. 
 

No comments: