Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Weekly Challenge

My Sister, 6x6" oil
This week's challenge was tough!  http://www.dailypaintworks.com/Challenges.  For oils, only burnt umber and mineral spirits could be used. It's a value study or a grisaille, used by some artists for an underpainting.  I worked on heavy textured gesso, thought it would be a good way to camouflage wrinkles.  Q-tips, rags and brushes with mineral spirits were used for taking paint away.  After I signed it, I discovered my meat skewer made really nice hair lines.  Scraffito, an Italian word for scratching,  is an ancient technique also used in pottery, and after mosquitoes bite.  THIS WAS MY 100TH PAINTING FOR THIS YEAR!

3 comments:

Kim C Pelletier said...

This technique is so much fun and it is the next challenge that I plan to tackle – I don’t know If I’m going to dare doing a portrait, I’ll see – There is much to learn by looking at your portraits and paintings. I’m really glad that I found your web site.

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

I'm a big fan of your work and this one did not disappoint. I love burnt umber ... it works so well for this type of work. Beautiful!

Jean Nelson Paintings and Photography said...

Nice portrait, Diane. I got a kick out of the eye she is giving you. She seems to be saying something like: "Are you through yet? It better be flattering"