Diane Mannion, WRAPPED POPPIES, 6x8" oil
This is an addition to yesterday's post on painting from photos... oh, my. Cloudy Saturday morning and I was looking through my digital files for something to paint demonstrating my approach to working from photography. I came across more photos I TOOK MYSELF from the farmer's market and was not feeling inspired until I noticed some poppies in plastic wrappers way... way in the background. Low and behold the miracle of digital photography I was able to ZOOM in and focus on them only! Below is my process and the reference photo (please be aware of how I did not "copy" the photo but translated it to my satisfaction):
Stage 1... sketched with brush, ultramarine blue and alizarin crimson, thin wash with OMS (Gamsol).
Stage 2... wanted to see how the plastic would turn out and excited by the yellow flower and highlight which would be the star of the show, so I went ahead with that area.
Stage 3. Played with pink, reds and plastic. Took a break to groom my poodles. It's feels good to a least have a painting on it's way before I do chores for the day. Makes me burn through them faster to get back to painting.
And the finished painting. I've just noticed how much darker this version looks. The images above were photographed, this one was scanned. Makes me realize how "off" my scanner is. Tomorrow, I'll photograph the painting. The yellow flower should look like stage 3, for instance. Hmmm...