Thursday, June 21, 2012

IBIS

Diane Mannion, IBIS, 6x8" oil
Had a chance to paint a small one today, refreshing after working on some larger paintings that seemed to take forever.  
And as promised, here's the final version of WATER PEOPLE along with the stages it went through.  Thought I just had to adjust the mother's hand but one thing led to another and I polished the painting here and there.  Could still be working on it if I hadn't said... Enough Already!  Sometimes, it's difficult to know when to stop.
Diane Mannion, WATER PEOPLE, 20x16"oil on linen, Final.
Stage 1:  Sketched over first day's total wipeout.   Could "see" what I wanted but the brush didn't even get close.  Maybe I learned something from my mistakes.  Was happier with this version and it was easier because I had a clearer vision of where I wanted the composition and rhythm to go.   Composition has to feel right visually in the way a piece of music has to hit the right notes.  I loved the angles and tangle of elbows and the child's knee and the way they played against the angle of the waves.  Changed the waves for dramatic effect.

Stage 2: Underpainting.  Painted colors that would give the final layers a glow.  Had fun pushing the direction of the water.  Worked on the pattern of light and shadow as it flowed across the mother's dress and shoulders.
Decided on palette colors.  Burnt sienna, yellow ochre, burnt umber, ultramarine blue, colbalt blue, cad red light, alizarin crimson, permanent rose, cad yellow med, lemon yellow, viridian green, titanium white.
 Stage 3:  Smoothed out and layered the underpainting with mid values.  This is one of those "ugly" stages where I worry if I can pull off my vision.  Fighting with values here.
Stage 4:  And I thought I was almost finished... even posted it.  Decided to adjust the mother's right arm and add a few finishing touches. 
Stage 5:  FINISHED! 

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Really beautiful! Very nice job!! Thank you for posting the different stages, too!