Monday, March 4, 2013

Monday Morning Surf Study

Diane Mannion, 37 Monday Morning Surf Study, 8x10" o/c

Met a few artists on the beach this chilly (37 degrees and also the 37th painting this year) SW Florida morning for a plein air session.  Didn't take long for the jackets to come off though, by 10am the tourists were walking on the beach in bathing suits.  The water was gorgeous but the darn stuff doesn't hold still!  Took photos and thought I'd touch this up in the studio... but decided to leave it 100% plein air.  It's simply a study and I can't wait to do more!  

2 comments:

Randall said...

Hi Diane,

It's tough trying to do these plein air, but the more you do them the easier it will get. Sometimes doing some from photo get's you pointed in the right directions. Try sketching them first that might help.

~Randall

Diane Mannion said...

I've done lots of studies from photos also, Randall. I also recommend E John Robertson's classic marine painting books, and Don Demer's dvd on Wave Painting. I know my problem this particular day was the distraction of talking with painting buddies I hadn't seen in a long time. Focus, focus, focus. Thank you for your thoughts.