Friday, March 15, 2013

41 FIRST FLIGHT

Diane Mannion, FIRST FLIGHT, 6x6" oil on Gessobord

Used limited palette of transparent red oxide, ultramarine blue, yellow ochre, and white for this study. It will be useful to show as a sample for a figures in the landscape class I'm teaching next week.  It's based on a snapshot I took last summer and changed a lot to protect the identity of the figures.  Tried to make them look like they were moving, thus the blurry definition.  Found it painful not to use more colors... but really wanted a sample of what this muted palette looks like to show my class.

*Have been reading Terry Miura's entire blog archive and have learned a great deal about painting figures, landscapes and using a limited palette.  There's so much information there, it's a delightful and informative read... well worth a visit.  His paintings are fabulous and he's a brilliant teacher!
Detail showing the loose and blurry brushwork.
It took three thumbnail sketches to make me realize the figures needed to be small.  Focused so much on painting this that I neglected to take process stage shots. 




2 comments:

Rochelle said...

I enjoy seeing the progression of a painting from the idea to finished product...like the end result tremendously.

Diane Mannion said...

Thank you, Rochelle. It's nice to hear someone other than my mom reads these!