Thursday, September 26, 2013

Shed Some Light On It

Diane Mannion, Shed Some Light On It, 10x8" oil on linen

WHAT IF

"What if".. the theme of my painting class yesterday.  Working from a photo, I challenged the students to think... what if there was something else happening.  What if the shed door was open?  What if there was a chair?  What if the garbage container wasn't in the  photo?
This is the rather plain photo I took at the Bay Preserve on a cloudy day.  There was something about the blue, tin roofed shed that I liked a lot.  How could this be made into a painting?  What if?....
Scribbled a few ideas in a thumbnail sketch.  Had flower pot and figure which I took out later.  Worked on the open door... liked the idea of light shining through the door's window.
Roughed in on Indian yellow toned panel with ultramarine blue, then wiped out lights with paper towels.
Blocked in colors.  Didn't like how the corner of the shed fell dead center.  Decided to make changes.
Changed roof perspective and raised bottom of shed.   Working in studio the next day, I could focus  without having to explain everything. 
The finished painting again:  Added chair, sky holes, lengthened door... and CAT!  For such a small painting, thought a figure would be too much. 
Happy with it!


6 comments:

Cindy Greene said...

Thanks for the progress photos! Loved seeing how you created a painting from an "interesting" building. And the chair just makes it.

Unknown said...

Thank you for this bit of insight into the creative process. I particularly like the addition and the elimination of elements. Out with the figure in with a pot of flowers out with the flowers in with the cat... it's wonderful. And I think the cat is a superb addition that invites story.

Diane Mannion said...

Thank you, Cindy! I love those old vintage chairs, much better than the ugly plastic ones we have today. And I thought a orange color would work well as the opposite blue.

Diane Mannion said...

Thank you so much,I'm glad someone appreciates all the work that I put into my blog and painting. It's a labor of love.

carol edan said...

Loved this little tutorial... gave me a lot of insight.... being on the other side of the planet and can't take part in any workshops any tid bit is welcome.. I am sure it will help me in a piece I am working on now of my grandson walking toward a very stoic church in Crete that I got recently through the mail. first draft awful but not giving in

Diane Mannion said...

Dear Other-Side-of-the-Planet-Carol,
I'm so glad my demo can help someone so far away! Hope your painting comes out well. Warm regards, Diane