Saturday, September 27, 2014

Medusa

Medusa, watercolor, 6.5x9.5" ©Diane Mannion

Day 27 of the 30/30 Challenge

Painted from life at the Venice Portrait Studio!  Unfortunately, I had left my watercolor brushes at home and had to borrow a few unruly oil painting brushes from a friend.  What a struggle!  

We all gasped when this fabulous model arrived dressed as Medusa!  Plastic snakes, great black dress, even glittery false eyelashes.  Green stage makeup, too!  And she actually drove her car to the art center like this, snakes and all!

This painting was a three-quarter view which included two hands... too much information for a two hour session.  Later at home, I cut off her head, salvaged what I could and reworked from a reference photo... using my own brushes. 




4 comments:

Susan said...

Here's another portrait with elements that "bump it up a notch." Even with plastic snakes and green makeup, you've made this believable (almost...ha ha). The snaky shadows elevate this even more.

martine paquet said...

I love it!
Beautiful expressive portrait!

Diane Mannion said...

Thank you, Susan! Snakes are kind of creepy, but thought the colors made them less scary.

Diane Mannion said...

I appreciate you kind comment, Martine. Thanks!