Wednesday, October 8, 2014

JUICER

JUICER, watercolor, 8.5x11.5" ©Diane Mannion
SOLD
1001!

1001 blog posts archiving 1001 paintings! 

  Continuing with my watercolor obsession, learning and experimenting.  This painting didn't turn out the way I had hoped... had a mind of it's own.  So, lesson learned:

Don't be in a rush to paint a subject.  I was so excited to play with my new #10 Escoda Ultimo brush that I rushed into painting a subject that would have been more suitable for my old #3 Winsor and Newton Series 7.  

The Escoda brush has a fabulous, playful, loose feel that also comes to a nice point.  But the WN is more suitable to a subject that needs to be controlled or rendered more carefully.  Although I started this watercolor with the hope of painting loose, the subject finally called for tighter handling.  This was a battle between loose and tight.
Painted first layer with Ultramarine using the Escoda only. Really LOVE this brush.
 Second layer, permanent rose, Escoda only.  Allowed blooms, splashes, and bleeds happen.
 Third layer, aureolin.  Some spattering and tapping for drips.  Still trying to keep loose.
 And the final again... used the Winsor and Newton #3 series 7 for details.
And although I wanted to keep the triad of red, yellow, and blue, pulled in Payne's gray for the background and metal, sap green for the lime.

There's always a danger of overworking a watercolor, but who's to say when to stop?  What would have happened if someone had told John Stuart Ingle to loosen up?  Not that I want to paint as tight as he did. 

I have no idea where these watercolor experiments will lead me... but having a lot of fun on the journey.

No comments: