Thursday, December 17, 2015

Boathouse

Boathouse, 8x10" oil, plein air, Diane Mannion

Spanish Point

Once in a while, like catching a big fish, or golfing hole-in-one (although I've never played golf!), a painting works out better than expected.  Maybe, one in thirty or fifty plein air paintings are keepers right from the field.  Stayed a bit longer to finish this one because I knew it was going well.  Oh, happy day!

Wonderful seeing so many friends and painters with the Light Chasers this morning.  Loved it when a total stranger hugged me and said she loved my painting.  Her husband said, "It looks just like a photo (urgh), but the nice lady said... "It's BETTER than a photo!"  I know folks say it looks like a photo as a compliment, but I want my paintings to look like paintings, not photos.
Location shot, left out the black plastic bag behind the boat and simplified a bit.

2 comments:

Cory said...

Another one hit out of the park Diane!

Diane Mannion said...

Thanks, Cory! Once in awhile they turn out good!