Sunday, October 23, 2016

Sand Sailors

Sand Sailors, 9x12" oil, ©Diane Mannion

Vintage Sails

Came across some vintage photos of sand sailing, a sport that still exists today!  (Go Google it!) Inspired by the classic sails and homemade contraptions of the vintage variety, thought I'd attempt to paint a few.  This one, made up from my imagination based on extensive research, is the tricycle style.

What struck my about this era, was the ho-hum attitude of the sailors, especially the females  who seemed quite bored with the activity.  Folks were dressed in their Sunday best, hats, ties, and dresses with long skirts.  Children weren't even wearing seat belts or helmets!  The characters and the lab in my painting are figments of my seedy imagination.

I'm torn about painting any more of these because they verge on my old illustration style rather than my more sophisticated fine art flair.  But it's all fun!

No comments: