Friday, January 13, 2017

John's Shadow

John's Shadow, 6x6" oil, ©Diane Mannion

1/13/2017

#13 of 30/30.  At this point, it feels like it will never end!  I keep asking myself, WHY?  Why paint 30 paintings in 30 days?

- practice
-experimenting
-pushing technique
-color mixing
-getting myself to "paint faster, Stupid!"
-exploring new subjects and ideas, even though I'm sticking to figurative here
-remembering the benefits of past 30/30's by seeing how my work improves
-the "hitting your head with a hammer because it feels good when you stop" theory.
-starting New Year off right
-improving self-discipline
-because I'm painting and I just can't stop

Enough whining!  

John's Shadow was painted from an old snapshot taken somewhere near Wilmington, NC while we lived there briefly for one year (realized it was a mistake and missed Florida!).

Left color areas, especially apparent in the sand, as large simple blocks.  Tried to hold values to dark, light, and medium.

Photo reference of John and first layer below.  Painted yesterday's post of Beach Lady at the same time.  Mixed up color for both, skin, water, etc.  Mass production technique!


No comments: