Thursday, June 13, 2013

View From Zeke's

Diane Mannion, View from Zeke's, 10x8" oil on linen, 100% plein air

Was on my way to paint Siesta Key when I stopped by to see what the Englewood painters were doing at the marina by Zeke's and never left.  Turned into a perfect Floridian morning... even made friends with a parrot!  


Getting into the useful habit of a thumbnail sketch before starting to paint.  Helps me see values, patterns, composition... and most importantly, what to leave out!  Easy to see what's missing in the photo below.  Really had to "zoom in" on my subject, the little boat behind the palm tree.


Painted from the back of my car while I chatted on the phone with my mother.  The angled pipe on the tripod belongs to my umbrella which popped off in a breeze and was saved from the drink by the black elastic cord. 

Kurt stopped by with Baby, a well-behaved macaw.

And after painting, the artists had lunch together at Zeke's.  Baby shared my sweet potato fries.

2 comments:

Maria Bennett Hock said...

love the painting and love seeing your setup!

Diane Mannion said...

Thank you, Maria! Always an adventure painting plein air!