Friday, October 10, 2014

Cloud Study #2

Cloud Study #2, 6.5x9" watercolor, ©Diane Mannion

More Cloud Practice

How do watercolors relate to my oil paintings?  

It's all the same pigments, even pastel, just different binders that hold them together.  Watercolors use the white of the paper as "white," so the transparency has to be maintained, a great challenge.  I consider watercolor the most difficult medium, but still love it.

A wonderful teacher once told me the medium doesn't matter... "a real artist can draw on a brick with a burnt stick." 

There's something spontaneous and addictive about watercolor.  It takes a lot less equipment, is far more portable for travel and sketchbooks, and... brushes are a lot easier to clean! 

These little studies are training my "eye" to see more clearly when I'm out in the field with oils.  I'm hoping to do quick watercolor sketches on location before hitting the canvas.  

For the next few days I'll be painting at the South Jetty in Venice and then, Spanish Point!  I'll be representing the Light Chasers Plein Air Artists for the first of the season Off-the Easel event...  30% of sales donated to Spanish Point on Friday and Saturday.

No comments: