Friday, June 2, 2017

Beach Again

Beach Again, 5.5 x 8" pastel, Diane Mannion

Oil to Pastel

Another experiment, this time using my oil plein air sketch as a reference for a pastel study.  One medium informs and inspires the other.
Original oil plein air, 8x10"

Purple clouds behind a shock of golden sea oats, flocking birds, the angle of morning light!  Inspiration galore!

Pastel colors are extremely vibrant and allow me to "see" the same scene in a different light.  Both these studies could inform and expand my vision for a larger studio oil painting.  I have stacks of plein air studies (done on location) that I've wanted to use as reference for larger studio paintings.  

Pastel studies let me push color and design and increase the "emotional" content of what I remember and what inspired me about the scene in the first place.  Too much fun!

No comments: