Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Fish for Supper

Fish for Supper, 5.5x8" pastel, Diane Mannion

Painting's Like Fishing

Often I struggle with a piece, fought this one for an afternoon, had an idea on the line and hauled it in.  Painting's like fishing, every once in awhile, I catch a good one.  

Pushing technique and color, breaking away from photo reference and using more visual memory is a challenge.  Everything in this little pastel sketch is made up from bits and pieces, mostly memory.  It was difficult molding these into the image in my mind's eye… but feel I'm getting close.  

Pastels are helping me "see" a new direction for my oil painting.  I could have done these studies in oil but pastels are quicker.  Pastel colors are incredibly gorgeous and will influence how I mix color in oils. 

The "underpainting" using purples and oranges on Uart 400, alcohol wash:

No comments: