Sunday, December 27, 2009

The One That Got Away


BOATHOUSE 2
oil
8" x 10"

BOATHOUSE number 1 (oil, 8" x 10") was one of the best paintings I ever did.  It had been a beautiful day at the Bay Preserve, Osprey, Florida.  My painting caught the sunstruck side of the boathouse and it's refections perfectly.  Had even added a friend painting on the dock under her silver umbrella.  Took the painting back to my mini-van and placed it on the roof, wet side up, while I packed away my supplies.  Then drove off to Sarasota.  Hadn't gotten very far when I pulled over and checked the roof...yup, it was gone!  Drove back around twice and couldn't find it.  Only hope it flipped off and landed neatly on someones's windshield and they said, "Oh, yes.  It's raining art in Sarasota again."  I hadn't signed the painting, so it can't be traced back to me and I won't be arrested for causing an accident or littering.  Most likely, it stuck to the bottom of a truck tire and is in Alabama by now.  But a few week later, I painted it again... BOATHOUSE 2.  Not nearly as good as the one that got away.

No comments: