Thursday, June 28, 2012

Michael



Diane Mannion, MICHAEL, 16x20" oil on linen
The benefit of a steady stream of houseguests is the availability of models.  Just had to paint the play of palm shadows and sunlight on Michael's head!  Below are the photos snapped at the end of each day, starting with day 2 because day 1 was a total wipe-out!  I think wipe-outs may be a way I figure out mistakes before I make them.  Even though I wipe the canvas... and feel miserable... something is learned in the process.  
Day 2: Sketched over wipe-out with burnt umber.  Started blocking in areas with the Zorn palette (cad red light, yellow ochre, black and white).  Working from reference photos on my 36 inch flat screen tv.  Cropped and adjusted with Photoshop on computer and transferred to tv with a memory stick.  Painted standing up on restaurant cushioned mat.  Underpainted with Gamsol.
Day 3: Corrected the drawing by turning the painting upside down along with a black and white photo.  Still painting with oils thinned with Gamsol.
Day 4: Designed background.  The red patch is where I'll sign my name by painting the shirt over it when it dries.  Should get a good, sharp signature by signing with my wooden meat skewer stick.  Started painting with linseed oil, and using a full color palette.  Yellow ochre, burnt sienna, burnt umber, ultramarine blue, cobalt blue, alizarin crimson, cad red light, lemon yellow, cad yellow medium, orange, permanent rose, viridian, and white.

Day 5: Finished.

No comments: