Friday, January 4, 2013

Fountain Geraniums

Diane Mannion, 5 Fountain Geraniums, 8x10" oil on linen
     
 Fifth in the 30/30 Challenge!   Painted the fastest and like it the most.  Working from old photos for some of these challenge paintings.  The reference photo for this painting was taken at a local garden center that unfortunately went belly-up.  And at the time I took this snapshot, I knew I wanted to paint it but couldn't without being too tight.  My painting skill is now catching up with what I want to express... have finally gotten to the point where I can work from photos and change almost everything.  Interesting to look back at my old photos and discover new material.  Changed a lot for this painting, colors, design, perspective, added the background window and the kitty.  Really having too much fun with this challenge.  Thank you Leslie Saeta for starting it! 
     

5 comments:

Marilyn R Miller said...

Growth is exciting! Happy painting!

Dave Casey said...

Very nice. I still struggle with my still life florals. Maybe I should take a lesson from you. :)

Diane Mannion said...

Thank you for your comments, Marilyn and Dave. Yes, growth is exciting, especially when I hit the bathroom scale in the morning. And Dave, if you are in SW Florida... I teach in Punta Gorda, Venice, and Ringling Englewood art centers.

Anne Winthrop Cordin said...

Warm glowing space really takes me in. The sly kitty is perfect was looking at a Bonnard this week with a cat in the corner that you almost don't see. Love !

Diane Mannion said...

Thank you, Anne! I love Bonnard, his colors, his compostion! He also has figures in his paintings you don't notice at first. I'll have to go back and look for his cat.