Monday, May 12, 2014

Beach Day

Beach Day, 8x10" oil on linen, ©Diane Mannion

Beach Day

This painting started on location as a plein air study which I took home and wiped off.  Repainted from photo reference and memory.  Sometimes, I finish a painting on the spot, take it home and sign it.  Wonderful when it happens, but this one was a struggle!

Although I'm pleased with this alla prima impression of a wonderful morning painting with friends on Manasota Key Beach... will have to call it a studio painting, not plein air.  But in the end it's what makes a good painting that counts.
Block in stage... later wiped. Thanks for the photo, Sharon Yarbrough!
My morning painting spot.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I'm glad you took the time to get this right. It's a delightful scene filled with charming elements.

Diane Mannion said...

Thanks, Susan! Sometimes we learn from our mistakes. And somedays paintings don't come out the way we want them to but go in their own direction.