Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Little Brother

Little Brother, 5.5x8"watercolor, ©Diane Mannion

Day 10 of the 30/30 Challenge

One third of the way there already!  Still not easy even thought it's my fourth time doing Leslie Saeta's Challenge... click here to see how the other artists are doing.  

Thought I'd try painting an extra one last night and ended up with a wipe-out, or tear-up because it's on paper, not canvas.  I have a paintout during the last week of this challenge, so I'm trying to get ahead. 

Practiced the spatter technique in Little Brother (better the boat should be named Little, instead of Big Brother).  I like way the splash dots give a spontaneous effect to the sketch, although this was not painted as quickly as I wished.  These watercolors are taking longer for me to paint than oils!

And I'm not ashamed of using masking fluid when needed, the masts and rope lines are a good example.  Makes more sense to have the background flow over the masks instead of trying to paint around them.  I'm a purist and try to avoid masking fluid but sometimes it works.

This painting is a view of the Royal Palm Marina on the Intercoastal Waterway here in Englewood, Florida.


No comments: