Thursday, October 9, 2014

Cloudy Study #1

Cloud Study #1, watercolor, 5.5x9" ©Diane Mannion

Fear of Clouds

Overcoming fear of clouds here...

I'll be painting outside for the next few days, so thought I'd practice painting clouds in the comfort of my studio.  Clouds are often the most scary part of painting the landscape for me.   They can lend a lot to the composition, mood, and visual interest of a piece, so I'm determined to conquer their amorphous fluffiness.

After an intense cloud practice session,  painted at South Jetty Venice with the Light Chasers Plein Air Artists this morning.  Not a cloud in sight!  Nothing to practice my new skills and knowledge on.  The sky did have an interesting cool yellow glow though.  Will post the results in a couple of days.

Now back to cloud practice.  They're only red, yellow, and blue, nothing to fear!



2 comments:

Susan said...

The clouds have that typical Florida attitude of "Here I come; get ready for a goose-drowner." I think they look great. My favorite part of this scene is the short row of blue palms. The golden foreground detail hints of autumn.

Diane Mannion said...

Yes, subtle hints of autumn here in Florida... we do have seasons. Increase in snowbird traffic, long lines at Walmart, etc. But this morning I looked up and saw a huge flock of snow geese arriving. Love your expression, "goose-drowner." I've heard about turkeys that looked up into the rain and didn't know what it was and drowned.