Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Girl with the Fly Earring

Girl with the Fly Earring, 6x6" oil, ©Diane Mannion

Day 7 of 30/30!

Had lunch with Rachael and took a snapshot.  Loved the pattern of fingers beneath her chin.   I find it more difficult working from photo reference... and this took twice as long as usual.  Perhaps, it was because I know the model and wanted to capture a likeness.   A snapshot of a stranger is easier because I try to change their appearance on purpose.

Happy I captured this 10 year old's personality.  When I aim the camera at her, it's usually smirks and eye-rolls, but she was pretty understanding this time.

No matter how hard I try, can't paint ahead for this challenge.  It's my fifth 30/30.  Last challenge I managed to have a week's backup, not this time, must have been the holidays when there was no chance to prepare.  

When my 30/30 paintings are dry, I'll be auctioning them on Ebay... at least the ones I don't mind parting with.  And will give plenty of notices here about each auction.