Monday, January 23, 2017

Splash Pail

Splash Pail, 6x6" oil, ©Diane Mannion

1/23/2017

#23 of 30/30

From an old photo that I've used as reference over and over, and every time the painting looks different.

Underpainting sketched on old seascape from a few years ago, which is why signature is upside down on bottom (had signed on top right).  

At this point in my 30 paintings in 30 days challenge... I want it over with and promise never to do it again!  What a long month!  But I will persist, "Self-discipline is everything," quote from art school professor that still rattles around in my brain.  Only 7 more to go......

2 comments:

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

Ah...this is classic, Diane. Paintings don't get much better than this. Action, color, design , technique - all great.

I laughed reading your post with true understanding.
I did the 30 in 30 four consecutive times and each time said never again. It was when it became so slow to download and was so large in artists participating that I decided to do a painting a day and not publish it. Freedom! I can just do squiggles in different colors if I want and no one will be any the wiser.
i do think it is a valuable exercise for all artists if it is at the right time for them.

Diane Mannion said...

Thank you, Julie Ford Oliver! So glad you understand! It IS a valuable exercise, always feel I've at least sharpened my skills. It's also good for building strong painting habits, which I don't need much help with... I'm my own worst boss and sometimes wish I'd lighten up on myself. The 30/30 is a love/hate thing, a bit like FB! Love YOUR work and have been inspired by it over the years.