Saturday, March 18, 2017

Off Port Clyde Again

Off Port Clyde Again, 18x24" oil, ©Diane Mannion

AMELIA

Recent commission based on an earlier painting.  

While sketching on a dock in Maine, I watched this jewel of a boat sail off in a brisk wind across Port Clyde Harbor.  Followed it along with my zoom lens, snapping reference photos, hoping they'd be useful for future work. 

My client requested more information about the sailboat, so I Googled it.  Typed "small sailboat Maine" in images.  Looked at several hundred!  The classic Herreshoff 12 daysailer looked quite similar.  After viewing several hundred more images, a teal colored hull popped out… EUREKA!!!

Not only had I found the type of boat, but it turned out to be the very one I had photographed that day in Maine!  AMELIA, a Paine 14, owned and built by Chuck Paine.  I immediately sent him an email and a photo.   He replied right away... "That is indeed me sailing my boat, Amelia!" 

Chuck Paine is a yacht builder and also a very fine artist!  



It's alway a good idea to keep a camera handy!  This boat would not have stayed still long enough even for a quick study.  The landscape is based on studies painted on the dock in Port Clyde.  And when I visit there again, my new friend, Chuck Paine has promised me a tour of his studio!

Many of my paintings are available at the Hughes Gallery, Boca Grande, Florida. 

No comments: