Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Sunday Morning Rocks

Sunday Morning Rocks, 8x10" oil, plein air, ©Diane Mannion

Sunday Painters
4/9/17

A few of my artist pals have managed to gather together on Sunday mornings recently… Sunday Painters!   Here's a few of the motley crew: Kathleen Crane, Me, Fran Mangino, and Jane Sither. 
It's nice having other artists around when painting for camaraderie, learning from each other, and someone to watch your gear when taking breaks.

Planted my easel near the rocks on Caspersen Beach (Venice, FL) that morning early enough to watch purple palm shadows swiftly move up the shore.  The light and tide changed fast, within an hour, the scene looked completely different.  Let myself simply react and splash paint… but nothing held still!

Caught myself chasing currents and colors, it was as though I was painting paintings on top of paintings like an animated film.  Stopped, put the brush down and let it go.

Scribbled this short-hand thumbnail sketch before I started painting which shows the "bones" of my design.  Towards the end of painting, the sailboat on the horizon really did show up which leads the eye into the background.



No comments: