Thursday, June 29, 2017

This Morning

THIS MORNING, 6.5x8.5"pastel, Diane Mannion

Field Study to Studio Sketch

Sketched on the boardwalk of a local beach this morning with two other artists.  This spot is less than ten minutes from my house if I hit the lights right!  Lucky me!
After scribbling a thumbnail sketch in my Moleskine notebook, I worked on Canson Mi Teintes using a limited supply of hard pastels, washed with alcohol, then fiddled until the paper couldn't hold anymore pastel layers.  

Later, this field study was useful for the studio sketch above, This Morning.  A location snapshot helped but mainly working with the colors fresh in my mind's eye helped a lot.

For This Morning… I used Pastelmat and a larger selection of pastels.  Giraults, Rembrants, Polychromos, and Great American and Sennelier for the final highlights on the sea oats.
Location shot… Englewood Beach view from boardwalk.

No comments: