Saturday, July 29, 2017

Fishery


Fishery, 6.5x8.5"pastel, DMannion

Placida Fishery

The bright colors of this historic fishing village are rapidly fading.  Vultures circle this prime property… I fear condos are looming in the near future.  A feral cat or two is always present.  Will be going back to capture what I can before it disappears.  Sad.

A few historical notes (there will be more in future posts):  Once thriving fishing village, was killed by the Net Ban in 1995. An investor purchased this seven acre property from the Albritton family in 2001.  Property was foreclosed in 2010.  

While researching this history, I discovered the Albritton's are descendants of the Gault and Cole families, fishing pioneers of Englewood.  My maiden name is Cole!  An island on the Boca Grande causeway is named Cole Island… perhaps I can charge another toll!

My Fishery pastel(above) was a studio version from a small field sketch.  Used NuPastels only on Pastelmat just to see if I could.   Have been experimenting by using NuPastels only for field sketches.  My tiny box of NuPastels is easy to carry anywhere.
Thumbnail for Fishery

Two quick studies done on location, NuPastels on Canson MiTeintes

Location setup, tiny box of NuPastels fit perfectly in Strada Mini!  Will work perfectly along with oils during my artist's retreat in Maine.

A few of the vultures… waiting!


No comments: