Sunday, July 27, 2014

Yellow Roses and Pear

Yellow Roses and Pear, 11x14" oil on linen, ©Diane Mannion

Let It Go!

Set this still life up with north light window and spotlight from the same side.  Fresh flowers!  Favorite vintage 50's pitcher and real pear.  Was such a delight to paint that I had to force myself to stop.

Kept seeing more and more details, the more I looked the more I saw.  There comes a point when you have to stop, LET IT GO!  I'm happy with what I captured about this setup.  Like the rhythm and movement and color.  Kept adding more details but did not want to reach that dreaded "over-worked" stage.  

Perhaps it's the plein air influence where a scene has to be captured on the fly.  Wanted this to have a more considered look... but still somewhat loose.  I didn't want it to look like a photograph where every area is given the same importance.  Wanted instead, to direct the composition, light, and color with more feeling.  Does that make sense?


4 comments:

martine paquet said...

What an elegant painting!
Light and shadows are so beautiful !

Diane Mannion said...

Thank you, Martine! It's refreshing moving from plein in the Floridian summer heat to the cool, air-conditioned studio. I also think it's a good idea to slow down the process and switch genres once in a while.

Susan said...

Once again, your use of light takes this painting out of the realm of ordinary. I enjoyed your comments about Huang's workshop. I went to his blog, and I like his work. But I like your higher level of color and light more than his darker works. You are combining what I see as the best of both worlds--plenty of contrast combined with amazing natural color and uplifting levels of light.

Diane Mannion said...

Susan, heartfelt thanks for your comment! Wonderful to know someone "sees" what I'm trying to achieve.