Thursday, January 1, 2015

Old Ford

Old Ford, 6x6" oil/gessoed panel, ©Diane Mannion

OLD FORD, NEW YEAR

Quick experiment with values and movement.  Pushed darks and lights.  Blurred edges for movement.  Limited color for the nostalgic effect of an old photo or memory.  Even though this is a '52 Ford, I once had a '56, so there's lots of memories and emotional connections.

Difficult part of this exercise was painting from photo reference and fighting camera distortions.  I attempted to give an impression of the car as both seen and remembered.  Squinted a lot and tried not to "illustrate" details.

Used limited palette of red iron oxide, ultramarine blue, yellow ochre, and white.  First time painting on Jack Richeson gessoed hardboard... mid-tone grey.  Nice!

First stage, pushed paint around and removed it with scrubby brushes, oms, and paper towels.  The values at this stage are darks to mid-value because of the gray mid-toned panel.
Took this photo reference at the Y, easy to see how distorted the camera perspective is.

This painting is also the first of Leslie Saeta's 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge... my fifth time.  Haven't decided on a theme... just paint, paint, paint and EXPERIMENT!
 
 WISHING EVERYONE A HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR!

6 comments:

Wendy Barrett said...

Well you achieved everything you set out to do. This is fabulous! A lot of movement and character! A great start to the 30 day challenge Diane! I'm impressed that you are taking it on again. Good luck with it and all the best for 2015. May it be as productive and enriching a year as the one that went before it!

Michele said...

This is wonderful, Diane! I love the palette and the movement you created. Bravo!

Renee Brennan said...

Love the car Diane!! glad to see you back ...I am giving it another whirl again and was looking for inspiration (I've been squashed at painting for months now ugh) ...I have no theme either...just jumping in!!

Diane Mannion said...

Wendy Barrett! So glad you like my painting! I'll check in with you soon... really busy here. 30/30 again? WhyOhWhy?

Diane Mannion said...

Thanks, Michele! I'll be watching your 30/30... are we nuts?

Diane Mannion said...

Renee Brennan! Glad to hear you're doing the 30/30 too! I just dove in this time and let the theme find me... think it's figurative experiments. Calling them experiments makes it seem a lot less scary.